Monday, April 9, 2012

We've Had Our Glitch

Before Take Off
Saying good byes

Just like the infamous Apollo mission, we've had a problem.  Unlike the astronauts, our glitch didn't send us hurtling around the moon and if we want fresh air all we have to do is open the window, and still, we've had our glitch.  Fear not!  Everyone is safe!  No one was injured!  But there has been a casualty...my shoe.  In the middle of the California desert I took one step too many and my orthopedic shoe broke. For a while I  hobbled like a one-legged pirate.  Luckily, Walmart was open til midnight and I am now sporting brand new tennies.

Other than that we are all doing very well.  We are two thirds of the way to Ganado and everyone is settling in for a short night's sleep.  Up and at-em at 6:15 tomorrow morning.  We were greeted at the church in Kingman by a very friendly Andrew who showed us around, helped us get settled, and entrusted me with the secret to the WiFi.
Movin' east

We left the church fairly close to "on time" and (aside from my own personal footwear malfunction) everything has been running smoothly.  We are traveling together the entire trip, in sight of each other and in communication via walkie talkies.  The whimpering you hear from the east is the sounds of credit cards as we fill these three beasts of burden with gas.  By the way, the third van has been named...The Great White Shark!  Not sure how Matt got to be in the van with "Great" in it...but I have a fairly good idea.  That's OK, we like being in Blanca Beauty.

We are looking forward to getting an early start and even though we have had a long day, when the possibility of having a worship time came up, there were many takers.  I couldn't be more proud of the youth in our charge.  They are truly the salt of the earth.  We decided against an impromptu worship though, since we have another long day ahead of us and less than six hours of sleep planned.

I will continue to keep you updated as time and reliable WiFi permits.

Now I can tell you the real reason that I decided to update this tonight rather than wait til morning.  I wanted to give everyone else a head start falling asleep.  I have been told, by people I have gone on trips with before, that I "snore like a rusty chainsaw that has never been oiled!"  I shouldn't be too worried though, I have been sequestered into a room by myself for some reason.

God Bless,
The Ganado Team

No comments:

Post a Comment