Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Today We're Tourists!

Today I need to explain that I am writing thesse posts on my smart phone and I cannot figure out how to change formatting on the blog. Therefore it is coming out as one long paragraph. I apologize and will re-format it once I get my hands on a computer. (Since this is no longer one long paragraph you can assume that I was able to get to a computer...actually I had nine computers at my disposal.  The same nine that we donated, built a room for, and wired for internet over the summer.  I was thrilled to be able to use what we had set up some months ago!)

Today we're tourists!

Today we went to three of the places that Pastor Mark and I investigated while we were here a couple of years ago. We went to the Hubble trading post, Spider Rock, and Canyon de Chelly (pronounced CAN yun...just kidding, pronounced de SHAY).

We spent most of the time at the canyon,where everyone who went on the trip made the two and a half mile hike down and then back up. Since I was the last person to make it up out of the canyon, I was complaining about how unfair, unfortunate, and unfriendly it was that we had to start out by climbing down and THEN have to climb back up to get to the car and lunch.

There were some who moseyed.  Even more strolled.  A few even ran up the path (Matt included)!  My hiking buddy and I meandered. We all got to the same place even if it did take me a half hour longer than most. 

The canyon really shows God's handiwork and is an important part of the Navajo people's history. Before we came on the trip we all read The Long Walk and discussed the importance that this place held for the people Kit Carson was ordered to evacuate by any means necessary.  From there we drove to Spider Rock which has a rich history as well. After that we drive back toward 'home' and spent the last few minutes of our day trading like settlers did way back when. Although I'm pretty sure they didn't use the same currency we used..and they probably didn't buy Dr Pepper in aluminum cans.

We had a few more people feel under the weather and we have pretty much concluded that their circumstances will be dramatically improved if we drink more water at this altitude. (about six thousand feet) We are taking care of everyone who felt a little ill and there is no need to worry. If it was something that fluids and a nap didn't make better,we would be calling you. Again, don't worry, pray for healing, but don't worry.

In an effort to keep everyone on their toes, and adhere to what was written on day one of the mission trip instruction sheet, "Be Flexible!", our plans for chapel time changed. What was supposed to be a movie night with a Bible study group from Ganado turned into awesome singing and a wonderful message from Matt. He spoke about how "Love is required."  Not that we need to earn God's love by loving others, we are love others because God loves us unconditionally. He also spoke about expectations for the trip and how we can assume that we are coming to a mission trip for one reason but God will reveal His plan once you're there.  It was a very powerful message and I count myself lucky to be one of the people who was blessed by it.  I am wrapping this up and posting this on Wednesday morning.  For some reason I couldn't keep my eyes open to finish last night...I blame the canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment